December 28, 2009

Vibes4YourSoul Selection#4 - In The Mood For Folk

Welcome to "In The Mood For Folk"!

Call it "folk", call it "indie songwriters" or anything else you want, "In The Mood For Folk" selection is first and foremost about great melancolic guitars-based melodies. Simple beautiful songs I love to listen to peacefully while letting my thoughts wander.

Most of the tracks are relatively recent. Between "Guilty Cubicles", the instrumental intro piece by one of my favorite band, Broken Social Scene, and the outro "London Planes", a sweet ou-of-time instrumental gem by Bibio, you will mostly listen to a new generation of songwriters that I find particularly talented.
I'm talking about Bon Iver, Cass McCombs, Alexi Murdoch, Piers Faccini or the Erlend Oye galaxy represented by Kings of Convenience and The Whitest Boy Alive. These artists all share a common gift for writing great folk songs. I hope this selection will make you want to dig deeper into their productions.
Alongside this up-and-coming folk scene, I also picked underlooked "folkish" tracks from well-known musicians I love like Morrissey, Jean-Louis Murat or british nu-jazz combo The Cinematic Orchestra.

True, this blog is mostly dedicated to my love for "black" music in its multiple forms, but even though I don't follow the indie scene as closely, it remains a vital piece of my musical puzzle. So from times to times, when I'm in the mood for it, I'll drop a few messages on that matter that I hope you will find interesting.

Enjoy!

(Oh, and I was about to forget, Happy New Year!)

JmSelector

Listen to the streaming below (or directly on 8tracks.com)



Tracklisting :
Intro - Broken Social Scene - Guilty Cubicles
Alexi Murdoch - Love You More
Piers Faccini - Two Grains Of Sand
Bon Iver - Re - Stacks
Kings Of Convenience - Parallel Lines
The Delgados - Accused Of Stealing
Cass McCombs - She's Still Suffering
Jean-Louis Murat - Dieu N'a Pas Trouvé Mieux
Solal & The Moonshine Sessions - I Lost Him (Feat. Melodie Cannon)
Morrissey - Mexico
The Whitest Boy Alive - Borders
The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build A Home(Live, The Royal Albert Hall, 2008)
Cassandra Wilson - Harvest Moon (Neil Young cover)
Outro - Bibio - London Planes


P.S. : Thanks to Littleblackbooks for the amazing artwork I shamelessly picked from his great Flickr gallery. Go check it out HERE if you liked it!

1 comment: