September 6, 2010

V4YS Album Review - Mount Kimbie - Crooks And Lovers (Hotflush Recordings)

Still catching up with the numerous interesting releases from this summer I am late in mentionning, "Crooks & Lovers", the debut album from Uk ambient/dubstep duo Mount Kimbie (Dominic Kamper & Kai Campos), but I had to as this possibly is my favorite album in the electro space so far this year (despite a really heavy competition!).
After two amazingly innovative Eps released in 2009 on Scuba's demanding label Hotflush, the duo presents 11 brand new tracks in a rather short format (35mn). Hopefully the quality of an album has never been a function of its length and this release proves it.
Is it ambient, is it dubstep, is it downtempo? all I know is that this LP has me travel a lot both physically and mentally.
Slow-motion tracks like "Would Know" or "Ruby" and their hypnotizing layer of deep bass put me in an exquisitely lethargic mode. Sweet candy-like (or Bibio-like as these remind me of his work somehow) tunes like "Tunnelvision", "Before I Move Off", "Ode To Bear" or "Adriatic" and their light acoustic guitars samples, have me slowly wake up in a zen but joyful state. My body is now ready to feel and enjoy the quicker pace and club-suggestive beats from "Carbonated", "Blind Night Errand", "Mayor" or "Field".

The trick is that tracks are not sorted this way! so listening to the album has me randomly move from one state to the other, losing control in some respect for a short but intense experience.
I hope I'll be able to experience it live soon (arrgh cannot go to next week Paris show), in the meantime their astonishing recent live BBC's Maida Valle Studio session is a nice introduction (check Gilles Peterson Sep 1st Worldwide BBC1 show for extracts).

Below youtube streaming of "Would Know" and "Carbonate" :





Essayant de combler mon retard sur les nombreuses sorties musicales de qualité de cet été je me devais de mentionner, même tardivement, le premier album sublime du duo anglais "Mount Kimbie" sur l'excellent label Uk Hotflush.
Après deux premiers maxi délicieusement inclassables paru en 2009, ce jeune duo délivre un premier album court (35mn) mais d'une richesse et d'une intensité rare. A "tiers-chemin" entre ambient, dubstep et downtempo, on flotte entre de douces plages léthargiques aux univers sonores remplis de samples langoureux, à de joyeux réveils sensoriels lorsque les beats appuient parfois subtilement sur la pédale d'accélérateur. Probablement mon album electro favori de l'année en cours.
Ci-joint streaming de mes deux morceaux favoris. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment